Falsetto is most commonly used by men and is also used by women. If you don't already know what it is, the first question you should be asking yourself is "What is falsetto?" Falsetto is the range right above your modal range, which is the typical range that people sing in. Falsetto is often used by men who are trying to reach higher notes without straining their voice. Below is a list on the best ways to successfully use falsetto without hurting or straining your voice.
1. Warming Up
Before you start trying to find your falsetto, you should properly warmup your voice so you don't damage your vocal folds.
- Vocal Slides
- Start with some vocal slides. Play a note on the piano and slide (use a glissando) to reach the same note only an octave up. Do this exercise as much as you feel is needed.
- Reach the extremes of your range by starting at middle C and sing scales the whole way up the piano, until you can't reach any farther. Do this exercise twice.
Image Source: mchsmusictheory.weebly.com
- Tongue and Lip Trills
- Buzz your lips and trill your tongue up and down, reaching all the high notes and bottom notes. Keep doing this until you feel necessary.
- Jaw Exercises
- Pick a random pitch and sing it. While singing it, chew on the note, just like you're chewing on food. You can also switch notes while doing this. This exercise is to relax and open your jaw.
- Do sirens at the top of your register. Sirens are starting at a low or high note and sliding up or down to hit all the notes in between. When doing this, you should be mimicking the sounds of actual sirens.
- Good Posture
- Stand straight with your knees slightly bent. Keep your shoulders back a little bit and keep your feet shoulder width apart. You also want to keep your chest up and your chin slightly raised. Keep your hands by your side as well.
Image Source: www.snagmusic.com
- Take some deep breaths. While taking deep breaths, breathe from your diaphragm and tighten your ab muscles.
- Only drink warm or room temperature liquids. This will keep your vocal cords loosened up and not burn them. Do not drinking freezing cold or scalding hot drinks!!
- No Throat Singing
- Do not sing from your throat! If you use your throat, you aren't properly utilizing your vocals and it's damaging to your voice.
- Sing High
- Sing the highest note you can possibly reach. You should be in falsetto at that point. It may not sound good, but it just has to be a note.
- Open Your Mouth
- Open your mouth in order to keep everything wide. You don't want a closed sound, which also won't allow you to sing at the top of your range sufficiently.
- Do not try to be too loud at first. If you try to be too loud, you might strain your vocal cords. If you have to start quiet, that's perfectly okay. Work your way up.
- Use Different Vowels
- When you're in your upper register, use different vowels like "ah" or "whee". This will increase your range and your vowel sounds.