- $14.95 / month
- $129 / year (Savings of $50)
- Fundamentals – 10 Weeks (2 Modules – 13 Chapters Total)
- Breakout “Genre” Lesson – 12 Weeks/Chapters Each (3 Modules – Rock/Blues/Country)
- 9 Additional “Genre” Lesson Modules
- 3 “Popular Artist/Song” Lesson Modules (Top 20, Popular Songs, Artist Studies)
- 3 “Style” Modules (Pracitce, Chords/Scales/Arpeggio, Tone)
This is a self-study tutorial, and can be done faster or slower as you prefer.
Course Skill Level: Beginner – Advanced
- Instant Access + Great Support Team
- Most comprehensive option (8000+ lessons)r
- Super Affordable w/ 60 day Money Back Guarantee (master the instrument your money back)
- Core Learning System = a proven structure. MUCH better than private lessons
- Start learning ACTUAL popular songs almost immediately (500+ to choose from)
- Not just a lesson set – an entire system w/ forum, jam tracks, games + more.
- Overwhelming – way too much material, hard to know where to start
- Nothing I could find that tied in singing and playing guitar together.
- Hard to not get excited and jump from lesson to lesson, song to song without fully mastering everything
Buy This Program If…
- You’re a beginner who knows absolutely nothing about playing
- You an intermediate or advanced player that wants to push their skills to next level
- You know the basics but want to focus on a specific style/genre
- You want to impress your friends by being able to play awesome songs
- You want to learn from actual pro working guitarists, not local “teachers”
This is my personal Guitar Tricks review. I’ve gone through the core of the program, but let’s be real – it will take a good year to get through all the lessons in full, not to mention all the ones they keep adding.
But that right there says it all – this is the most comprehensive training program available, and I think it’s a great option for both beginners and experienced players.
I will keep updating this review with more information as I finish the course.
My Personal Story With GuitarTricks
If you’ve read my other reviews then you know that I’ve always loved music.
And when my parents bought me my first guitar at 10 years old, I thought I’d be a rock star.
The Wrong Choice
So I took private lessons…
And I hated them – they were dry, boring and worst of all I didn’t get to learn the type of music I wanted to play.
So I gave up. But that wouldn’t be the end.
Enter Online Training
When I first learned to sing, I used online singing lessons and they worked great. So why not try the same thing with this, right?
Someone told me about this company and I decided to check it out because it looked kind of cool. I ended up signing up for their 14 day free trial. Best decision ever…
When I first logged into the program after signing up I was overwhelmed, yet again. The amount of stuff to learn can be seriously staggering.
Most people confronted with that much info will think “where do I even start?” But luckily they have a structure that makes sense.
When I saw the videos at first I was afraid they’d be boring. But I was relieved after the intro video – because it explained how everything would work… And so I knew that I’d be learning the type of music I wanted really soon.
I was itching to learn some Jimi Hendrix and BB King. But there was so much more than just that. In fact, I would first do a fundamentals/theory lesson, and then practice a bit.
But then I’d go check out a song lesson and just watch and try whatever I could. And that kept me motivated and actually really excited to keep up with the daily lessons and practice.
I needed to keep getting better.
My Results So Far
And get better I did…
I started knowing very little, and now I can actually play properly. I was excited taking this program so I went through the core system pretty quickly and practiced a heck of a lot each day.
And I’ve made some SERIOUS strides.
Where to Now?
I come up with melodies and chord progressions all the time just for fun now. I read tabs and love to learn songs too.
I’ve gone through the core fundamentals 1 and 2 (see more about this below) and am now onto my chosen Style lesson (blues) from the core system. But there’s soooooooo much more. Videos, articles, software, forum posts, games…
I will update this review with my progress as I go through everything, and move onto different videos and styles/songs. I’m also using Jamplay which is a great tutorial site. Check out our full JamPlay review.
This is a pretty amazing platform to learn to play and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to learn to play online.
I’ve only been at it for a few weeks and I’ve already seen crazy improvements. If you want to learn how to play guitar in a way that’s actually interesting and excited, try it out.
What have you got to lose?
There’s a 60 day money back guarantee. So you have 2 months to try and learn and if you don’t, you can get your money back.
Easiest decision I ever made. And I actually ended up learning a lot and becoming a much better player!
What You Get With The Whole System
An In Depth Review
These lessons are based around the exclusive “Core Learning System” – a structured set of over 1500 that begin at the very basic (ex/ how to hold a pic) and progress to more intermediate topics.
When you first log in to the program you feel totally overwhelmed because of the amount of options:
Your first thought is to play the video in the center. But that’s just a random lesson. You want to choose the Core Learning System graphic on the left sidebar in the above pic.
This takes you to the beginner lessons which have 3 separate sections. It’s a good idea for all beginners to start here before diving into the songs/styles.
Even if you decide to jump back and forth between the fundamentals and the styles/songs, don’t skip this stuff if you’re just starting out like I was.
The Core Learning System
Level 1 Fundamentals
- Correct Posture and Technique
- Basic Knowledge
- Introduction to Chords
- Playing Melodies
- Playing Full Chords
Level 2 Fundamentals
- Intro to Music Theory
- Intro to Minor Chords
- Scales, Chords and Triads
- Intro to Reading Music Notation
- Simple Songs Using Chords and Scale Notes
- Learn and Practice More Chord Groups
- Practicing Major and Minor Scales
- Intro to Barre Chords
Breakout Style Lessons
The great thing about the core system is you hit the ground running right after learning your fundamentals. So you could speed through the fundamentals, learn them and go straight to playing your favorite styles.
You can learn a lot of different styles with the program, but in the core training you focus on 3 to become well rounded – blues, country and rock.
Of course, you don’t have to go through all of them if you don’t want, but its a good idea to.
Level 1 Blues Style
- Intro to 12 Bar Form
- Blues with Power and Barre Chords
- Minor and Dominant Blues
- Blues Rhythm and Feel
- Blues Lead Playing
- Blues Tone and Equipment
Level 2 Blues Style
- More Blues Lead
- The Three Kings (Albert King, BB King, Freddie King)
- Creative Techniques (Phrasing, Vibrato and Bending)
- Blues Soloing
- Rhythms, Turnarounds and Alternative Forms
- Regional Blues Styles (Delta, Chicago, Texas, New Orleans, Jazz, British)
Level 1 Country Style
- The Rhythm of Country
- Setting The Stage with Strumming
- Barre Chords and Country
- Picking & Chord Embellishments
- Borrowing From The Blues
- Tone and Equipment
Level 2 Country Style
- Picking Primer & CAGED System
- Chord Inversion and some Country Theory
- Rhythm Techniques
- Picking and Strumming – signature rhythm
- Country Rhythm Guitar like the Masters
Level 1 Rock Style
- Rock Chords: Open, Barre and Power
- Rock Rhythm
- Rock Soloing 101
- Riffs, Licks and Themes
- Tone: Amps & Effects
- Born From The Blues
Level 2 Rock Styles
- Rock Chords 2
- Rock Lead Secrets
- More Rock Rhythm
- Advanced Rock Techniques
- Playing Like The Masters (Different Rock Styles)
- Putting It All Together
Beyond The Core
Now, there are over 8000 lessons included in Guitar Tricks so there’s no way we could review it all right here.
Just know that this course will have you busy for a while! You should be able to get through the core learning system in two months (enough to evaluate fully before the money back guarantee expires).
Songs & Styles
After that you can focus on from any number of styles including:
- Funk & Soul (my personal fave)
- Metal (Another fave)
Want to learn specific songs? This site definitely has you covered there. Here’s a small sample of the over 500+ songs they have for you to learn
- Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix
- Let it Be by The Beatles
- The Thrill Is Gone by BB King
- SuperFreak by Rick James
- Whiskey In The Jar by Metallica
and SO MANY MORE. There’s a ton of different artists included and this is definitely my favorites part of the entire course.
Top 20 Techniques
This section is 20 different techniques that are the top videos to get you playing like a pro once you’ve mastered the fundamentals.
In these lessons you’ll delve deeper into studying the particular styles of guitar greats throughout history. From BB King to AC/DC there’s something for everyone.
Art of Practice
Learn how to practice effectively so you can make the quickest gains and truly master your instrument
Chords, Scales, Arpeggios
In this additional module you’ll delve deeper into these three important areas of playing the guitar.
Pursuit of Tone
All about crafting your signature tone. Every great player has a particular tone they love. What will yours be?
Beyond Mere Lessons
There’s also a forum and jam sections on the website. I haven’t fully explored these two areas yet because I’m having so much fun. But I will check them out and report back on this review when I get the chance.
The Last Word
But even without the forum and jam session (and the practice games) this online lesson is well worth the price.
At $14.95, you can’t really lose here. You’re bound to learn the instrument with Guitar Tricks. But what’s best is the way you learn. Through awesome videos and your favorite popular songs.
You’ll learn everything you need to know and not even realize it’s a tutorial. This is a great program that’s easy to use, easy to understand and get the hang of and it’s got the most amount of material. That means there’s bound to be something in there you’re going to love.
If you dont, you can always get your money back within the first 60 days. And 60 days is a long time to try any program.
I learned a lot, and if you’re trying to learn how to play the guitar (at any skill level), you will to.